Summary of Don Heights Unitarian Congregation Strategic Plan – 2015 – 2018
The Don Heights Strategic Planning process began in 2008 with a review of the congregation using the Appreciative Inquiry approach to establish that this plan is built on the best of the past and present life in Don Heights.
On October 4, 2009 the congregation approved the following new Vision for Don Heights:
‘Don Heights is a resilient, welcoming community of diverse individuals, promoting love, reason and freedom of religion, fostering life long spiritual growth and acting for social justice and the environment.”
Freedom in Religion; Justice in Action
The Themes of the Strategic Plan are Stewardship and Sustainability
We have defined ‘stewardship’ as the act of increasing our commitment to shared ministry and shared responsibility for the future sustainability of a Unitarian presence in the northeast part of Toronto. Inherent in sustainability is the understanding that we, the current members of the congregation, are not the owners, but rather are trustees of our vision, holding the congregation in trust for those who had the vision to found the congregation and for those who have yet to come.
The Goals of our Strategic Plan for the years 2015 to 2018 are:
- To enrich our life-span learning program to meet the needs of both our present members and the multigenerational (diverse) members we hope to serve
- To support initiatives aimed at increasing the size and diversity of our congregation.
- To look into hiring someone capable of enriching lifespan learning on a multi-generational level, and/or creative programming in order to increase the size and diversity of our congregation.
- To move toward a more balanced budget.
- To develop a clear rental policy, enabling rentals to take place more easily, helping to balance the budget better.
- To develop a programming policy.
- To stabilize the current rental situation while the Congregation seeks out appropriate permanent locations.
- To enhance our social action programs.
- To remain engaged in interfaith affairs
- To publicize our events more widely in order to attract new people to our congregation.
Approved at November 9th 2014 and amended at DH AGM April 26, 2015.