Summary of Don Heights Unitarian Congregation Strategic Plan – 2010 – 2013
The Don Heights Strategic Planning process began in 2008 with a review of the congregation using the Appreciative Inquiry approach to establish that this plan is built on the best of the past and present life in Don Heights.
On October 4, 2009 the congregation approved the following new Vision for Don Heights:
‘Don Heights is a resilient, welcoming community of diverse individuals, promoting love, reason and freedom of religion, fostering life long spiritual growth and acting for social justice and the environment.”
Freedom in Religion; Justice in Action
The Themes of the Strategic Plan are Stewardship and Sustainability
We have defined ‘stewardship’ as the act of increasing our commitment to shared ministry and shared responsibility for the future sustainability of a Unitarian presence in the northeast part of Toronto. Inherent in sustainability is the understanding that we, the current members of the congregation, are not the owners, but rather are trustees of our vision, holding the congregation in trust for those who had the vision to found the congregation and for those who have yet to come.
The Goals of our Strategic Plan for the years 2010 to 2013 are:
- To develop a plan regarding leadership, professional or otherwise.
- To increase the size and diversity of our congregation.
- To operate within a balanced budget as soon as possible or by 2013
- To work toward moving into space more appropriate for our mission.
- To remain committed to having a friendly, inclusive atmosphere marked by
meaningful connections in a multigenerational community.
- To enhance our social action programs.
- To remain engaged in interfaith affairs
- To enrich our life-span learning program to meet the needs of both our present members and the multigenerational (diverse) members we hope to serve.
Approved at DH AGM April 18, 2010
Development of Detailed Workplans for DH Strategic Plan 2010 – 2013
The Board of Directors is happily accepting volunteers for Working Groups for each of the 8 Strategic Goals. The Working Groups will be asked to develop detailed SMART, (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Timely) Goals with Action Steps for meeting the goals and to review the plans with cluster groups and then present these plans to the Board of Directors by September 2010. The completed Workplans will be shared with the congregation in October 2010 with a system for monitoring our progress on carrying out the plan.
We encourage everyone to get involved in further developing and implementing our Strategic Plan.
The Strategic Planning Team and the Board of Directors April, 2010